This policy is effective October 12, 2020 until notified otherwise and is an updated version of our policy announced on March 4, 2020, and updated April 15, 2020. Changes since in this version are denoted by bold text.
At Jitjatjo (the “Company”), the health, safety, and experience of our Talent and Change Agents is our top priority. Like many businesses, we are closely monitoring the outbreak of Coronavirus / COVID-19 (the “Virus”). We wanted to provide you with an update on the precautionary actions we are taking in response to COVID-19 and reassure you that we have a clear action plan in place.
As a company based in the United States, we are following guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO). We have a robust preparedness plan in place in the event a Talent has contracted the coronavirus, with designated regional crisis management teams who are prepared to execute additional measures in the event that a location is directly at risk.
Jitjatjo may revise this Policy at any time in response to changing information and government recommendations/directives regarding the Virus.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) continues to update guidance for specific groups including businesses, schools, and healthcare facilities.
The most current guidance is available at:
- United States - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- New York State - https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home
- New York City - https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/coronavirus.page
- Washington D.C. - https://coronavirus.dc.gov/
- Illinois - http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/coronavirus
The Company will take proactive steps to protect our Talent in the event of an infectious disease outbreak. It is the goal of the Company during this time period to strive to operate effectively and ensure that all essential services are continuously provided and that Talent are safe.
The Company is committed to providing authoritative information about the nature and spread of infectious diseases, including symptoms and signs to watch for, as well as required steps to be taken in the event of an illness or outbreak.
This Policy applies to all active Talent employed by the Company.
2. Gigs and Leave Related to the Virus
2.1 Talent Confirmed on Future Gigs
The Company will monitor the safety of the workplace by communicating with Operators placing bookings.
As circumstances dictate, the Company will take appropriate precautionary and preventive measures to ensure that workplaces are safe, and the Company will advise Talent of such on-going preventive measures.
Unless the Company has identified a workplace as unsafe, or Talent reports Virus-Related Leave (please refer to section 2.3) Talent shall be required to report for work as scheduled and Jitjatjo’s standard disciplinary policy including talent cancellations, punctuality, and absenteeism.
2.2 Cancelled Gigs
In the event the Company cancels a Gig within four (4) hours of the scheduled start time due to a workplace being identified as unsafe, and the Company is not able to provide the Talent with an alternative gig on the same day (“Cancelled Gig”), Talent on the Cancelled Gig will receive four (4) hours pay at the pay rate specified in Flex app for the Cancelled Gig.
Instant Pay is not available/applicable for Cancelled Gigs.
2.3 Virus-Related Leave
If this Policy requires Talent to Drop a Gig due to the Virus and/or related circumstances, and such related circumstances prevent Talent from working for a period of up to twenty-one (21) workdays (“Virus-Related Leave”), this Policy will supersede the Talent Sick Leave Policy.
Virus-Related Leave is unpaid unless the Talent is otherwise eligible for Sick Leave.
2.3.1 Talent Sick Leave Policy
After working eighty (80) hours in a calendar year, Sick Leave is accrued. There is a one hundred twenty (120) day probationary period before Talent are eligible to use their accrued Sick Leave.
Sick Leave is accrued at the rate of one (1) hour per thirty (30) hours worked in a pay period (week) and the Sick Leave accrual balance is displayed on Talent’s Pay Stub.
Accrued Sick Leave may only be used in the event a Talent has accepted a Gig and is unable to work due to illness and notifies the Company.
Sick Leave is paid at the pay rate of the Gig in which Talent was scheduled to work. Approved Sick Leave will be paid the following pay period. Accrued Sick Leave does not carry over into the next calendar year. Unused Sick Leave is forfeited.
3. Mandatory Pre-shift Health Screening
3.1 Talent are required to complete Pre-shift Health Screening before starting work.
All Talent are required to complete a Pre-Shift Health Screening survey before starting each Gig. The Pre-Shift Health Screening survey will be automatically presented to Talent either immediately after accepting a gig, tapping On My Way, or arriving on-site.
The Pre-Shift Health Screening survey questions are:
- In the past 24 hours, have you had a fever of 100.4℉ / 38.0℃ or higher? (Y/N)
- In the past 14 days, have you experienced COVID-19 related symptoms (such as a cough, sore throat, fever or chills, muscle or body aches, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, fatigue, headache, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea)? (Y/N)
- In the past 14 days, have you or anyone with whom you’ve had close contact been notified about possible exposure to a confirmed case of COVID-19? Close contact means direct contact with infectious secretions (e.g. being coughed on) or being within 6 feet (2 meters) for a prolonged time. (Y/N)
- In the past 14 days, have you traveled out of the state or country? (Y/N)
Upon being presented with the Pre-Shift Health Screening survey Talent will have 15 minutes to complete the four (4) question survey. If you do not complete the Pre-Shift Health Screening within 15 minutes, you will automatically be removed from all future Gigs and your account will be placed on hold pending direct communication with Jitjatjo Human Resources.
3.2 Talent who answer ‘Yes’ to any of the questions will be removed from their gig and placed on a safety hold
Talent who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness or continued cough are advised to seek medical attention, then stay home and not go to work until they are free of fever (100.4° F / 37.8°C), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least seventy-two (72) hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. over-the-counter medicines). Talent should notify the Community Management Team and stay home if they are sick or experiencing symptoms.
Talent with Virus symptoms but who do not have a fever (100.4°F / 37.8°C) are strongly encouraged to stay at home and refrain from returning to work until they are symptom-free for seventy-two (72) hours without the use of medication and can truthfully complete the Pre-Shift Health Screening.
3.3 Talent Required to Care for a Dependent or Other Family Member Due to the Virus or Related Circumstances
The Company will provide leniency to Talent confronted with unexpected or sudden emergencies involving dependents or other family members.
3.4 Requests for Medical Information and/or Documentation
If a Talent is out sick or shows symptoms of being ill, it may become necessary to request information from the Talent and/or their healthcare provider. In general, the Company would request medical information to confirm the Talents’ need to be absent, to show whether and how an absence relates to the infection, and to know that it is appropriate for the Talent to return to work.
4. Preventing the spread of Infectious Disease While Working
The Company asks that all Talent cooperate in taking steps to reduce the transmission of infectious disease while working. The Company encourages the following practices to help prevent the spread of Infectious Disease:
- Talent are required to complete the Pre-Shift Health Screening before each Gig. Failure to comply will result in removal from the Gig and the talent will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Frequent hand washing with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap is not available to clean your hands, use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Cover your mouth whenever you sneeze or cough
- Discard used tissues in wastebaskets
- Clean frequently touched surfaces
- Avoid people who are sick with respiratory symptoms
4.1 Personal Hygiene
To prevent the spread of the Virus it is important that all Talent practice good personal hygiene. Special attention should be given to coughing and sneezing techniques and to proper handwashing.
4.1.1 Coughing and Sneezing
Talent are to use tissues to cover their mouths and/or noses when sneezing and/or coughing. If tissues are not available, Talent may cough or sneeze into the inside of their elbows and should cover coughs and sneezes with tissues. Talent are to wash their hands immediately after coughing or sneezing.
4.1.2 Hand Washing
Talent are to wash their hands whenever there is the possibility of spreading the Virus. At a minimum, hands should be washed after coughing or sneezing, visiting the toilet, touching one’s hair, face, eyes, nose, mouth, or body, or touching anything that may be contaminated. Hands should always be washed when working around food.
4.1.3 Face Coverings
Talent must wear Face Coverings provided by the client while working. Talent who are unwilling to comply with wearing a face covering while working will receive a formal Warning and will be removed from the gig immediately, without receiving 4 hours pay. Should a client mandate Talent wear an N95 Respirator specifically, Talent should contact Jitjatjo immediately for instruction before commencing work - no disciplinary action will be taken in such an instance.
5. Social Distancing Guidelines for Disease Outbreaks
Avoid public transportation where possible (walk, cycle, drive a car) or go early or late to avoid rush-hour crowding on public transportation. Avoid recreational or other leisure classes, meetings, activities, etc., where Talent might come into contact with contagious people.
5.1 Commuting to Work
Talent who reside and/or work in NY are required under the NY Governor’s Executive Order 202.17 to have a face covering while in public. A “Face Covering” may include cloth (e.g. homemade sewn, quick cut, bandana), surgical masks, N-95 respirators, and face shields. Talent within 6 feet of another person must wear a Face Covering.
The Company’s recommends you:
- Wear a Face Covering when you leave your house/when you are in public
- Wear a Face Covering throughout your commute to/from work
- Walk or bike to your workplace where practical.
- When taking the subway, if the train is too packed, be patient and wait for the next one.
5.2 Live Checks
For the few Talent that receive live checks, effective March 13, 2020 and until further notice, unless otherwise approved by Jitjatjo Human Resources, your checks will be mailed to your residential address recorded on your profile in Flex app.
Should you need to update your address, please contact Jitjatjo's Community Management Team via Live Chat and/or call (212) 235-1616.
5.3 Social Distancing at Gigs
Talent need to maintain, as much as possible, social distancing guidelines of six (6) feet distance with coworkers and other people that are present at the job site. Talent who are unwilling to comply with social distancing practices may receive a formal Warning and/or be removed from the gig.
6. COVID-19 Hygiene Training & Accreditation
In an effort to support the Jitjatjo Talent Community the Company is developing strategies to minimize the impact of the Virus, maximize the wellness of Jitjatjo Talent and continue generating work opportunities (“Gigs”) while this Policy is in effect.
The Company has launched a COVID-19 Hygiene Training course (“COVID-19 Training”) and Accreditation for Talent (“COVID-19 Trained”).
COVID-19 Training is:
- Optional and is available to all Talent with an “Active” status in Jitjatjo’s Platform. As COVID-19 Training is optional, Jitjatjo will not pay Talent for time spent completing the course.
- Intended to help Talent avoid contracting the Virus by raising awareness and practicing good hygiene, however completing the training course and following the guidelines is no guarantee Talent will not contract the Virus.
- Designed to provide value to the broader community by helping to keep Jitjatjo Talent well, so Talent can continue working to produce/serve food for the community.
The “COVID-19 Trained” accreditation (“Accreditation”) will be applied to the Talent’s profile upon satisfactory completion of the COVID-19 Training and Assessment. The Accreditation will prioritize Gigs for accredited talent.
The Accreditation is:
- Intended to provide Hospitality Operators with confidence that Jitjatjo is taking the Virus seriously and Jitjatjo Talent are trained in good hygiene practices.
- Intended to increase the likelihood Operators will place bookings through Jitjatjo that generate Gigs for Talent.
- Designed to prioritize Talent with the Accreditation, to help maximize Gig invitations for accredited Talent.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this time, and we will keep you informed of new developments regarding this policy.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Virus, please reach out to Jitjatjo's Community Management Team via Live Chat and/or call (212) 235-1616 for assistance.